The vast majority of us have swapped tap water for bottled water, thinking that it is the better option. However, there are numerous forms of the best countertop water distillers on the market that can give you pure water at a low cost. If you’re concerned about the purity of your water, then such a distiller is a good investment.
The benefits are endless, and with so many options on the market, you can hardly go wrong. From water purifiers directly fastened to your water source and simple countertop filtration systems to the best countertop water distillers – there’s something for everyone. Therefore, without further ado, let’s find the best water distillers for your home.
|Product Image||Product Name||Flow Rate||Ratings||Price|
|Pure Water Mini-Classic CT Counter Top Distiller||1 Gallon in 4 hours||4.8||View On Amazon|
|MegaHome Countertop Water Distiller||1 Gallon in 5.5 hours||4.7||View On Amazon|
|ROVSUN 4L Countertop Water Distiller||1 Gallon in 4 hours||4.7||View On Amazon|
Best Water Distillers vs. Water Filters/Purifiers
So you’re in the market for one of the best water distillers but are unsure what it is that you need to look out for. You have a clear price point in mind but are indecisive about the features your future machine needs to have.
First, you must ensure that you purchase one of the best water distillers, and not a water filtration system or plain old water filter. That is key, as although they all boast to clean and purify your water, it is not usually the case.
Only water distillation systems have the technology to rid ordinary tap water of its pollutants, contaminants and other forms of impurities.
How do they do this, you may ask? Simple. Filters and purifiers mainly work by passing water through a filter meant to catch impurities. They often catch some, but not all contaminants as many microscopic pollutants sneak past the filter.
Meanwhile, water distillers work by heating the water to the point of causing vapor which gets collected in a condenser for later consumption.
This method gets rid of more contaminants than a filter due to the simple fact that water has a lower boiling point than the majority of substances found in untreated water. Hence, when you boil the water, the vapor it releases is only water in its purest form. It’s free from all other potentially harmful substances. Moreover, the boiling kills a number of bacteria and viruses (should there be any), among other foreign substances in the water.
Now that we have that out of the way and we know what we are looking for and how it works, we can focus on the real task. Let’s find out how to set apart the best water distillers from their not so great counterparts.
Best Water Distillers – What to Look for
Out of the various types of the best water distillers on the market today, the majority fall into two categories:
- Batch Distillers – models that require you to manually pour water into it for distillation
- Plumbed Distillers – an automatic type that’s attached directly to your water supply
The most common of these two versions is the countertop batch distiller. This type will also be the focus of this review, as they are far easier to use and they take up less space. However, for those with a greater budget who want a lower maintenance machine, the plumbed water distiller is not a bad choice.
All this aside, when looking for the best water distillers, there are a few things you should consider. For one, do you want to pay more for high-quality or less for medium-quality? Which added features should it have?Finally, are you looking for an advanced machine or a simpler version?
Let’s assume you’re in the market for the former as this is a guide intent on helping you find the best water distillers on the market today. With that in mind, there are a few things you should look out for.
Best Countertop Water Distillers – Features
- Material – Inexpensive water distillers are often made out of plastic, and this is something you should definitely avoid. Plastic is not easy to clean or sterilize and can collect bacteria over time. Stainless steel or glass, on the other hand, is easily cleaned and does not readily hold onto foreign substances.
- Distillation capacity – As water distillation is not a fast process, ensuring your machine can distill a few gallons of water at a time is a safe bet. Purchasing a model with a small tank and low distillation capacity would leave you at a disadvantage.
- Distillation speed/ flow rate – You should purchase a machine with not only a large tank capacity but also a faster speed of distillation. Remember to look for a model that can distill at least a gallon of water every few hours.
- Post-distillation filter – Distilled water can sometimes taste flat as the distillation process takes a lot out of it. Therefore, it needs a good carbon filter to improve the taste of it. Now, although this is a useful feature for a machine to have, it is not 100% necessary as your water will still be clean and pure without it.
- Automation features – Last but not least, as we all lead fairly hectic lives, we want a low maintenance machine. Preferably one that you can program yourself to turn on and off at set times.
Now, let’s see what the market has to offer in terms of the best countertop water distillers.
1. Pure Water Mini-Classic CT Countertop Water Distiller
Coming in at number one of our water distillers review 2018 – the Pure Water Mini-Classic CT.
What’s so great about it, you might ask? Well, if you’ve gotten this far in our guide, you would know of the top five features the best countertop water distillers need to have. And yes, you guessed it! This machine has it all.
It comes at a price, however, but we are in the market for the best countertop water distillers, and this is, by far, a top contender. Starting at around $500, this machine is a stainless steel model, and it has a large and fast tank capacity (distills 1 gallon of water every 4 hours). It also has automated setting times and includes a glass dispenser as well as a storage bottle.
As the name suggests, an added feature is the size of this machine; it is quite small and can easily fit on your countertop without compromising the quality of the water distillation process. It also comes with a carbon filter for post-distillation water taste improvement, and finally, an incredible 15-year warranty if bought directly from the manufacturer.
- It’s small enough to place it on your countertop without sacrificing much space.
- You don’t have to install it, which means you can use it immediately after you get it.
- It can last for a long time. Some users have had theirs for a decade, and it’s still going strong.
- It is one of the most expensive models on the market.
- A few users have said that they’ve noticed that the water has a strange, metallic flavor to it. We didn’t notice it at all, but it is something you should consider before purchasing it.
2. MegaHome Countertop Water Distiller
The MegaHome distiller is still one of the most popular countertop water distillers on the market today. It has been topping lists for quality and design ever since it hit the market.
One of the reasons why it’s so popular is the fact that it’s made entirely of stainless steel and glass. Furthermore, its tank capacity is above average, and it can distill one gallon in around five hours.
One of the many things we particularly liked about it is its automated shut-off mechanism. The distiller shuts off once it’s done, which is perfect if you don’t have the time to turn it off yourself. Moreover, it also comes with activated charcoal filters – you get six of them, and they will last you for about six months.
Lastly, we would also like to mention that it’s quite compact and small. What’s more, it only weighs around 5 kg, so you can easily transport it whenever you like.
- Made of top quality material – no plastic at all.
- The design is over 20 years old, so you cannot doubt its quality.
- It comes at a fraction of the cost of the top-tier models – starting at around $200
- It’s UL listed and approved, which means that it complies with safety standards
- It comes with a 1-year warranty.
- The design also includes a high-temperature thermostat, so you needn’t worry about it overheating.
- It doesn’t have an on/off switch.
- The customer service is not up to standard.
- It’s quite loud, and it might even wake you up during the night.
3. ROVSUN 4L Countertop Water Distiller
Last but not least, we have the Rovsun water distiller. Made of glass and stainless steel, this model is your best bet for a high-quality mid-range countertop water distiller. It comes at a lower price point, but it doesn’t compromise on quality.
So, what does the Rovsun water distiller have to offer? Even though it is similar to its competitors in design, this machine is, surprisingly, much cheaper. You can get it for about $150, and it comes with nearly all the same features as the rest of the best countertop water distillers. But, money matters, which is why we had to include in our list.
This model comes with an automatic shut off system, easy to clean filters (which do not require regular changing, mind you), a glass tank, a lightweight design (5-6 kg) and a one gallon per batch distilling capacity. Distillation occurs at about 1lt per hour up to a maximum of four liters, which is about average.
Furthermore, the unit itself doesn’t take up too much space, and it looks good in every setting. It also holds an FDA certification, which is an added assurance if you’re still on the verge of purchasing it, and it’s portable. Therefore, you can take it with you while traveling and have tasty, purified water anywhere in the world.
- The design is elegant and modern
- It’s quite easy to use, and cleaning it up is not a problem at all
- The glass container is shockproof
- There are ventilation holes that prevent it from overheating during use
- It comes with a 1-year warranty
- The instructions in the manual were confusing, and we could barely understand them
- Some users have mentioned that the water tastes funny, even though it comes with filters
Best Countertop Water Distillers – How do they compare?
Now that we’ve looked at the top features of all three of the best countertop water distillers, we can briefly look into what sets them apart.
All three machines are well-built using the best material (stainless steel and glass) and are relatively compact and lightweight. Save for the Pure Water distiller which boasts the highest price and overall weight. We forgive it this small disadvantage, however, as it has the greatest capacity and warranty to go with it.
So, what else sets the machines apart? Their price does. As mentioned, the Pure Water model is the most expensive, while the Rovsun model is the least expensive one. If you are on a budget, you might have to opt for a different model, even though it doesn’t tick all your requirement boxes. However, if you want lifetime quality, Pure Water is one of the best countertop distillers you can choose.
Post-distillation filtration is another feature which differs between the models. The Rovsun model boasts the longest and easiest to clean filters, whereas the Megahome model appears to be a little more high maintenance.
Gallon capacities and distillation rates are similar between the last two models as well, with not much difference to note there. Design-wise, they look and function quite alike as well. The only real difference between the machines is their time on the market and their customer satisfaction reputations. In our opinion, if you purchase either of the two, it will surely meet all your expectations.
As for our top dog, the Pure Water distiller, it is the most expensive, but it has all of the top features. That includes the longest warranty and fastest and largest distillation capacity. So, if you are ready to distill water until the rest of your life, this machine is one of the best countertop water distillers you can invest in.
The price points may differ, but the quality lasts forever. Hence, we hope that our water distillers review 2018 has helped you figure out what you should be looking for. And, don’t forget; ultimately, you get what you pay for, and this all too well-known fact is no different when it comes to the market’s best water distillers.